Aims of the Programme
- To produce graduates with the requisite skills and knowledge that integrates economic theories with applications
- To produce graduates capable of thinking more analytically with the ability to evaluate evidence and undertake economic research as well as formulate and analyse economic policies
- To produce graduates who will play a more useful role in senior management decision making process in the corporate world.
- To produce graduates who would be able to do research to solve issues.
Objectives of the Programme
- To equip students with the requisite advanced knowledge in the theories and methods of microeconomics, macroeconomics, and econometrics and the application of these theories in policy formulation and analysis in the relevant fields of specialisation.
- To create competences in the intermediate mathematical and statistical methods used by economists so that upon graduation, students will be able to undertake economics-oriented policy research, policy analysis and business/investment environmental scan more independently and professionally.
- To equip students with the relevant skills required for gainful employment upon completion as well as the capacity for undertaking higher research degrees in economics and related disciplines.
An applicant seeking admission to an MPhil degree programme in Economics must:
- have obtained a good first degree (at least a Second Class) in an appropriate field of study from a recognized University.
- submit a proposal of 2-3 pages of A4 size paper on the intended area of study.
An applicant who possesses a Taught Master’s degree (MA / MBA / MSc) and who wishes to enroll on an MPhil degree programme will be required to take additional relevant courses not exceeding 18 credits and present a thesis.
- An MPhil degree student has a maximum of three years and part-time student has a maximum of four years from the semester in which they are admitted and begin course work, to complete all degree requirements. Students who fail to complete the degree programme within these periods may be dismissed from their programme with the concurrence of the Dean of Faculty. To continue, such students must file a petition for an extension of the time limit with the Dean of the Graduate School. Such petitions must be endorsed by the students’ Deans of Faculty / School and may be granted for up to one year.
- Students who have not completed their degree programme within the time limit, and who have received approval for an extension shall have any course work completed of the degree requirements evaluated by their department for relevance and applicability. At the discretion of the department, students may be required to validate these courses as part of the completion of their degree requirements.
The Master of Philosophy programme shall consist of a minimum of five 3-credit course and a maximum of six 3-credit courses per semester. Total credits shall not be less than 30 credits or more than 36 credits in one academic year. In addition, the student is required to present a dissertation to qualify for graduation.
Individuals with MPhil Degrees in Economics can pursue a wide variety of careers, including:
- Government (e.g. Bank of Ghana, ministries, state departments and agencies including the Ghana Statistical Service, National Development Planning Commission)
- Academia (e.g. universities, polytechnics)
- Business/Industry (e.g. credit agencies, banks, consulting firms, brokerage firms, insurance companies, and microfinance firms)
- International Organisations such as the World Bank, International Monetary Fund (IMF), African Development Bank (ADB), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), and United Nations Conference for Trade and Development (UNCTAD) among others
- Research Institutions (e.g. ISSER, CEPA, NBER, etc.)
Admissions: +233 0307 020540 | +233 0303 318583 | +233 020 726 8263
Main: +233 0303 318580 | 030 7020545 (Miotso) | +233 0594081658 |+233 0302 313185 (Christ Temple) | +233 0302 396189 (Kumasi)
Whatsapp: +233 023 331 3180
Academic Verification requests: email@example.com